November 3, 2020 General Election
Due to the COVID pandemic, Gov. Phil Murphy has announced that the November 3 General Election will be conducted primarily by mail-in ballot.
- There will not be machine-voting at the polls on Election Day (except if you’re disabled)
- All registered voters will receive their Ballot this year by U.S. mail between mid-September and early October, with ballots mailed out by October 5
- There are multiple secure ways to return your ballot, outlined below
- DO NOT THROW AWAY YOUR BALLOT
- CAST YOUR VOTE EARLY AND TRACK IT ONLINE
- DON’T WAIT TILL ELECTION DAY
Two best options to return your ballot early and make sure your vote is counted:
- Return your ballot via U.S. Mail with pre-paid postage
- Bring your ballot to a video-monitored secure drop box in your County (Locations below)
Then, track your ballot online
- Log into the state website to sign up to track your ballot, just like a FedEx package. This way you can ensure your vote has been received.
Additional voting options that may risk longer lines on Election Day
- Hand your completed mail-in ballot to a designated polling location on Election Day November 3, which could be different from where you normally vote (check your town’s limited polling locations below)
- If you lost your Ballot, never received one, or prefer not to use the mail-in ballot sent to you, voters can vote by paper Provisional Ballot at the polls on Election Day – which is likely a different location from where you normally vote (check your town’s limited polling locations below). There will not be machine voting on Election Day, except for disabled voters.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- When should I receive my ballot?
- Mail-In Ballots must be mailed out by October 5th, but in some cases will be mailed earlier.
- I lost my ballot / I didn’t receive a ballot. What do I do?
- If you lost or never received your ballot you can call the County clerk to request another one, or opt to vote provisional paper ballot at the polls on Election Day. Note there are a limited number of polling locations which maybe different from where you normally vote. Morris County Clerk: 973-285-6066; Somerset County Clerk: 908-231-7013
- What is the deadline to return my ballot?
- Do not wait till the last minute. Cast your vote early to provide enough time in case there are problems with your ballot. If you chose to vote via US Mail, your completed ballot must be postmarked on or before November 3, and received by November 10. Other ballots can be dropped at polling locations or drop boxes before 8pm on Election Day, November 3.
- Can I register to vote online?
- The voter registration deadline closed on October 13, 2020 for the General Election.
Secure Drop Box Locations with 24/7 Video Monitoring
If you prefer to drop off your ballot rather than sending by US Mail, Vote-by-Mail Drop Boxes will be installed in 15 locations across Morris County.
They are all outside and under surveillance 24/7, and resemble a USPS Blue Mailbox, but are Red, White & Blue and display “Morris County – Official Ballot Drop Box.”
The Vote-By-Mail ballots (VBMs) will be picked up on a daily basis by a Sheriff’s officer and two members of each party and brought to the Board of Elections. Security measures will be followed when collecting and transporting the VBMs.
For Morris County drop box locations in/near District 25 (Morris County residents only)
- Morris County Administration & Records Building, 10 Court Street, Morristown NJ 07960; (Outside front entrance)
- Chester Township Municipal Building, 1 Parker Road. Chester, NJ 07930; Parking Lot by Clothing Drop Box
- Denville Municipal Building, 1 St. Mary’s Place, Denville, NJ 07834; Outside Main Entrance
- Dover Municipal Building, 37 North Sussex St., Dover NJ 07801 (In front of building, on or about Oct 12)
- Mendham Boro Police Department, 3 Cold Hill Rd, South, Mendham, NJ 07945; Outside Front Entrance
- Mount Olive Municipal Building, 204 Flanders/Drakestown Road, Budd Lake NJ 07828; (Parking Lot entrance to Municipal Offices)
- Randolph Municipal Building, 502 Millbrook Avenue, Randolph 07869; Outside Main Entrance
- Roxbury Township Town Hall, 1715 Route 46, Ledgewood, NJ 07852; Outside Main Entrance
- Wharton Municipal Building, 10 Robert Street, Wharton 07885; Outside Main Entrance
Additional Morris County area dropbox locations (Morris County residents only):
- Madison Public Safety Complex, 62 Kings Road, Madison, NJ 07940; (Commuter Parking Lot 3)
- Montville Municipal Building, 195 Changebridge Road, Montville, NJ 07045; (In front of Municipal Building)
- Jefferson Municipal Building, 1033 Weldon Road, Oak Ridge, NJ 07438; Outside Main Entrance
- Kinnelon Borough Town Hall, 130 Kinnelon Road, Kinnelon, NJ 07405; Parking Lot – Back Entrance
- Long Hill Town Hall, 915 Valley Road, Gillette, NJ 07933; Side Entrance
- Parsippany Municipal Building, 1001 Parsippany Blvd, Parsippany, NJ 07054; Outside Main Entrance – Facing Route 287
- Rockaway Twp. Municipal Building, 65 Mount Hope Road, Rockaway, NJ 07866 (Outside Police Department)
For Somerset County Dropbox Locations (Somerset residents only):
- Bernardsville Borough Hall, 166 Mine Brook Rd, Bernardsville
- Bridgewater Township Municipal Building, 100 Commons Way, Bridgewater
- Franklin Township Municipal Building, 475 Demott Lane, Somerset
- Hillsborough Township Municipal Building, 379 South Branch Road
- Somerset County Administration Building, 20 Grove Street, Somerville
Handing in your Ballot or Voting Provisional on Election Day
This will be the only form of in-person voting except for those with disabilities. Due to voter confusion, there may be long lines at polling locations on Election Day with only one polling location per town, and provisional ballots taking additional time to complete. To avoid lines or potential delays on Election Day; we recommend you turn in your ballots in advance at a safe dropbox, by mail, or if necessary, either physically hand it to a poll worker at a polling station, or by voting provisional paper ballot on November 3rd.
If you lost your ballot before you were able to return it, didn’t receive it please call the Morris county clerk at 973-285-6120 or the Somerset County Clerk at 908-231-7006.
Your ballot is too important to throw it away.
List of Reduced Polling Locations for Election Day (No Machine Voting)
If you choose to bring your ballot on Election Day, or vote provisional paper ballot, the list of reduced polling locations are listed below, and can be verified for Morris County here and Somerset County, here:
- Districts 1, 2, 7: Bernardsville Library, 1 Anderson Hill Road
- District 3, 4, 5, 6: First Presbyterian Church-Fellowship Hall, 321 Mine Brook Rd
- Boonton: Boonton High School Gym, 306 Lathrop Ave
- Boonton Township: Municipal Building 155 Powerville Road 1st Floor Meeting Room
- Chester Borough: Municipal Building 50 North Road Main Meeting Room
- Chester Township: Highlands Ridge Barn 100 North Road
- Denville: Riverview Elementary School, 33 Saint Mary’s Place
- Dover: Sacred Heart Parish Center 37 North Essex Street Gym (Auditorium)
- Mendham Borough: Garabrant Center 4 Wilson Street Main Meeting Room
- Mendham Township: Emergency Services Building 1 Cherry Lane Truck Bay
- Mine Hill: Senior-Youth Civic Center 12 Baker Street Large Meeting Room
- Morris Township: Municipal Building 50 Woodland Avenue Conference Room
- Morristown: Municipal Building 200 South Street 3rd floor Senior Room
- Mount Arlington: Mt. Arlington Civic Center 18 North Glen Avenue Main Room
- Mountain Lakes: Mountain Lakes High School 96 Powerville Road New Gym
- Netcong: Netcong Municipal Building 23 Maple Avenue Council/Courtroom
- Randolph: Mt. Freedom Fire Hose Company #3, 670 Millbrook Ave
- Rockaway Borough: Rockaway Assembly of God Church 113 East Main Street Meeting Room
- WARD 1 and WARD 3-1 and 3-6: Roxbury Municipal Building 1715 Route 46 Council Chambers
- ALL OTHER WARDS: Roxbury Senior Center, 72 Eyeland Ave, Succasunna
- Victory Gardens: Victory Gardens Municipal Building 337 South Salem Street Courtroom
- Washington Township: Senior Citizen’s Center 35 East Springtown Road, Long Valley First Floor
- Wharton: American Legion Home 99 North Main Street Large Meeting Room